Racists in My Cheerios: My Work Is Never Done

Hello Meltingpot Readers,

I have no words. So, just see for yourself and know our work is never done. Never!

Check the story about the Cheerios ad featuring an interracial family and the virulent racist comments it’s been receiving. Then pull your heart off the floor, wipe your tears and remember that we won’t let them win. Onward! I might even start buying Cheerios!

9 comments for “Racists in My Cheerios: My Work Is Never Done

1. Cyretha
    2 June, 2013 at 5:44 am

Hi,

Let me tie a few things together here. First, it is good to see that Cheerios is embracing multi-cultural/multi-racial families in the US. Mattel is still considering diversity despite their international footprint. Second, by chance a friend sent me a podcast of a book signing by Chimanada Ngozi Adichie. Any guess as to which one it was? Yes, the one where you introduced her. Chimanada made some good points in her comments and you made an excellent introduction. Third, I have started “Americanah” and can’t wait to get more into it and see how the story unfolds get a picture of an outsider’s view on race relations in the US. Finally, we shall continue to fight the fight and empower people of diverse backgrounds.

• Ms. Meltingpot
      3 June, 2013 at 10:29 am

Cyretha,
      I love your comments. Always so thorough and inspiring. And that’s funny that you got Chimamanda’s Philly visit. Enjoy the book. You know I did.
      LT

2. Olivia
    1 June, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I never read the comments, but I thought that commercial was adorable. We’ve come too far as a nation to revert back to the Dark Ages. While I believe there will always be racists, likewise there will always be those to stand up against them. More, now people are no longer afraid to stand up against bigoted bullies. We’re winning, and we will continue to do so.

• Ms. Meltingpot
      3 June, 2013 at 10:30 am

Olivia,
      From your lips to God and everybody else’s ears. I like your attitude!
      LT

3. Nif
    1 June, 2013 at 7:28 am

That’s a freaking adorable commercial, and I’m staying a million miles away from the hateful comments.

As much as I appreciate the gesture of multi-racial love from the giant corporation, General Mills = Monsanto = Ew. So I won’t be rushing out to buy Cheerios again. It is my general principle to never buy food that appears in a commercial.

• Ms. Meltingpot
      3 June, 2013 at 10:31 am

Nif,
      I respect anyone who stands by their principles. But, yeah it is a cute commercial :)

4. Wendy
    31 May, 2013 at 12:23 pm

That commercial is funny and sweet! I’m scared to read the comments, many written by trolls and designed to get us hot under the collar. I know what they’ll say and I don’t want to ruin the sweetness of that little girl pouring Cheerios on her daddy! I love Cheerios! I like to mix in some chocolate chips or M &Ms with honey nut Cheerios in a sandwich bag to satisfy the urge to munch when grading papers.

• Ms. Meltingpot
      3 June, 2013 at 10:32 am

Wendy,
      There really is something about a little girl pouring Cheerios on her daddy, right?

LT

• Wendy
        3 June, 2013 at 12:13 pm

It’s the juxtaposition of childhood innocence vs. the racist a-holes in the world that makes her deed all the cuter.

Comments are closed.